Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Monday, August 5, 2013

Smart Cookies

Hiya there peeps

Shuna here

One of my favorite centers in my classroom is the magnet word work center
They are a cinch to set up and the kiddos really enjoy them

At the beginning of the year I like to keep my centers somewhat simple so that the kiddos can learn how to work in groups while doing some easy activities.

Even though most of my kinders come in not knowing their alphabet names  they can match the shapes of the letters making this a super easy and fun center that all my littles can do.



To differentiate I had 3 different versions of the sheet that the kiddos could use.

I have updated these, because lets be honest the one above is horrible and the letters were way too small

It worked but I wanted it to be easier for my kiddos to use

Here is a look at some of the centers that I use at the beginning of the year

Some of my students work on lowercase letters, some of them work on uppercase letters and some of them work on both upper and lowercase.


I usually just give my kiddos a tub and let them explore.
They love the magnet station and so do I because it is super easy to set up.

For the littles that come in with some alpha knowledge I give them this sheet and let them fill in the missing letters.

If you would like to use these sheets for your littles you can download them FREE here!

This is another magnet center that I use. I have a lot of printable games in my classroom and I have pieces that always get misplaced so I use those and have the littles practice beginning sounds.


I have a bunch of letters magnets in my classroom, most of which I have bought 

My favorite magnets by far come from Lakeshore
You can check them out  here

This year I have decided to incorporate my magnet station with my word family station.
Here is a quick look at my new Short A pack
I wanted something where the students will be able to explore each word in a fun and meaningful way. There is a sheet for each word in the word family. The littles will practice building the word with help, color the correct letters to spell the word, write the word on their own and then fill in the missing letter. 
There is also a sheet that students can use to practice reading and spelling the word in context. 

Here is a peek at everything that is included in the Short A pack









You can check out the
Smart Cookie Short A here and the
Smart Cookie Alpha version here




Happy Teaching

Peace Out Peeps

25 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the freebie! I love the magnet station and this will be a great addition! Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome! I know that your littles will love this station as much as mine do. Magnets seem to have special powers over them and keep them on task!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great ideas. Do you have a blog post about how you manage your centers? I love your work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually have a couple of blog post

      *http://pocketfullofkinders.blogspot.com/2011/09/centers-and-freebies-blog-hop.html
      *http://wildaboutteaching10.blogspot.com/2012/06/center-series-from-pocket-full-of.html
      *http://pocketfullofkinders.blogspot.com/2013/02/managing-center-material.html

      Delete
  3. Thank you again, Shuna. I am the lucky recipient of your give-away yesterday, the Smart Cookie Short A set. I`ve downloaded it already and it is GREAT!! Teachers of Kindergarten and Grade One will love this pack. You won`t be disappointed!! (Jane)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the super sweet comment!

      Delete
  4. Shuna, Thanks so much for these cute letter freebies!!! They will be perfect for my preschoolers!! We LOVE magnetic letter work!! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a silly question, but where did you buy your magnetic letters? Mine are just solid blue. Thanks! Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bunch of different sets.

      I have gotten some from Walmart, Dollar Store and Lakeshore. The ones from Walmart and Dollar Store are usually in the kitchen aisle.

      Here are the ones that I get from Lakeshore http://products.lakeshorelearning.com/search#w=letter%20magnets

      Delete
  6. Where did you buy your magnetic letters? Mine are just a solid rectangle and blue. Thanks! Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakeshore and Dollar Store

      There is a link in the post to Lakeshore

      Delete
  7. Quick question...should these be laminated? I was wondering if the magnets would still work through lamination. Thanks for your help! Love these...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can be laminated

      Mine are laminated in the pictures above

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the wonderful freebies! I love the ideas for the magnet center and using the sensory table to dig for the letters! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break out the tub ever so often and the kiddos love it. The tub adds a new spice to the center.

      Delete
  9. Very adorable, Shuna! Wish I had seen this when I was in the kindergarten classroom! Have a great year!

    FlapJack Educational Resources Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should definitely come back over to the dark side

      The littles are much more fun than the uppers

      Delete
  10. Great post and a SUPER freebie!! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to use them next month!
    Pam
    Mrspspecialties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the freebie. Happy Teaching and have a great year

      Delete
  11. thanks so much for this fun magnet activities

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heading back to work with some K/1s this fall! I'm sure I will be able to use these! Found you at Classroom Freebies.
    Sarah
    Teaching Resources for the Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hopping over from CF.

      I know that you will be able to use these with your littles and they will love it!

      Delete
  13. These are fun and cute! I will be using them with my littlest at home as soon as she is ready! Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! -Shuna

If you are not a follower what are you waiting for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...