Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Because Lining Up is Hard...

Hiya there peepers

Shuna here


How many times have you heard that? I am doing good if I hear it twice a day.

Aww, I wish I could go back to where the biggest dilemma was where I stood in line

Heck who am I kidding

Grown people have trouble standing in line so how can you expect little people to do it

Have you ever been in a busy McDonalds standing in line and someone walks in and bypasses you and goes right for the counter?

Umm HELLO rude person

I wasn't standing here at all 

Actually I like when strangers walk in and jump to the front

It is the perfect way to make new friends! 

I mean how dare me for actually waiting my turn

Anyhoo 


So how do I get my kiddos to line up?

Clipart: Laura and Mr. Magician Font: Kimberly 

I like to vary how I have my students line up because I don't like having the same students in the same spot every time we line up to go somewhere.

* Sometimes I have them line up in number order
-Each one of my students have a number I assign them. The students are in alphabetical order so when we need to go somewhere and they have to be in ABC order I put them in number order. When we go on field trips it is a quick way for me to keep track of the littles and see who might be missing. 


*Mystery Walker
Sometimes I tell the littles that I am going to choose a mystery walker. I go over the hallway expectations before we enter the hall and tell the kiddos what I am looking for. For example, I might look to see who is turned facing forward one day and who is using proper spacing another day. To check out more on the mystery walker you can click HERE
When the kiddos are lining up they recite the little mystery walker poem

You can get the poem here FREE

* Making it a Game

-Using a timer

Sometimes I use a timer and the littles line up while trying to beat the clock

The kiddos know that they must beat the timer and line up quickly and quietly. If the kiddos line up before the timer goes off they get a class point. If the kiddos have so enough class points by the end of the week they get extra recess time or dance time

- Playing a song
This goes along the lines of using the timer. The star student picks a song on a cd and the kiddos have to be in line BEFORE the star student turns the cd off. If everyone makes it in line before the star students cuts off the cd then they earn a class point. 
{ We do have a discussion about how long is an appropriate amount of time}
Mrs. Ricca also has some super cute line up songs. 

- Answering a question
If we have extra time I will give students a trivia question and the littles who have the correct answer will get to line up first. 

- Making it Silly 
I like to spice things up from time to time so sometimes I will tell the students to make it silly. The Star Student will call different tables and give them a silly action to do. For example the star student will call the quietest table to line up while hopping like a frog. The kiddos love this and it helps the littles get all of their wiggles out before we go into the hall.

* One thing that has really worked for me is the tell my kiddos how they will line up at the beginning of the day. I post it on my board so the kiddos will know what to do. Then every time we get ready to line up I tell the kiddos that it is time to line up. When it is time to line up I say okay go and they kiddos know what to do without me having to say a thing. If we are lining up by number order the kiddos who is number 1 will automatically get up and get in line and the other kiddos will follow suit.  


***Dealing with behavior***
I am super tough on them at the beginning of the year. The kiddos know that if I hear any talking, see any hands on the wall, then we will turn back around and go back to the room no matter how close we are to our destination. I can't tell you how many times we have gotten to the cafeteria door and had to turn around because one of the littles was playing! It breaks their little hearts but after a couple of weeks I have no problems. 

*****Dealing with cutting****
*Are you bleeding?
 *Do I need to call 9-1-1? 
No, well you two can work it out or both of you can go to the back
The end! 
My kiddos HATE,
H.A.T.E. 
being at the end of the line so they usually work it out between themselves.
We do talk about what happens if a little steps out of line and how they lose their spot. We also have conversations about being fair and making good choices


Don't you hate when you have your kiddos in line and are ready to go and that nice little voice comes on the intercom and says, " We aren't ready for your class yet!" What!
 Do you understand that it is an act of Congress to get 27 little people in line and quiet

So for those times I like to have my children play a whisper game. I tell the child in the front of the line a secret and they pass it all the way to the back of the line. It is quite interesting how I want pizza for lunch turns into I like my blue shoes

How do you get your littles in line? 





Oriental Trading is having a Spooktacular Giveaway!
Enter for your chance to win $500
From August 25th- October 19th, enter to win $ 500 in Halloween products of your choice from OT. That will make for a seriously awesome classroom party. Plus, they are giving away a $25 gift card everyday!
Click HERE to enter

Happy Teaching 

Peace Out Peepers



3 comments:

  1. Hi Shuna! I loved this post! Thank you for the poem!
    You are awesome!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all great tips. I like the Mystery Walker.
    I haven't heard "He cut it" before. In BC the kids say, "He budged." Drives me crazy:)

    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who says "Are you bleeding? Do I need to call an ambulance?" for those pesky little disturbances!! That made me smile. :)

    Miss White's Classroom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! -Shuna

If you are not a follower what are you waiting for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...