Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Pinterest

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Learning To Glue

Hiya peepers

Shuna here

Summer is almost over so you know what that means

The dreaded first week of school

I am pretty positive that teachers fear it more than the students 


One of the first things that I do with my incoming kinders is show them how to glue. We spend the whole first week learning how to use glue properly. 

Does anyone else have to fight the battle of the glue every year?

I seriously have nightmares about glue taking over my classroom!

In the past we would sit in a circle and I would give each kiddo a bottle of closed glue.

After the kidletts explored the glue for a bit I would ask them to squeeze the bottle to show me how to use it

Mine you the bottle is still closed at this point!

It  was interesting to me to observe them use the close bottle of glue because I got to see the students who would need extra help 

The ones who were trying to squeeze the life out of the bottle

The ones who were treating the bottle like a baby and weren't squeezing enough

and the ones who had it down

After watching, I told the kiddos that we were going to do a little experiment

{ Insert excitement here}

I called a couple of students to the front and gave them a bottle of opened glue and a paper plate and let them go. I told them to squeeze as hard as they could



After the little experiment we talked about what would happen if we were doing our work and the glue spilled all over our paper?

I think it is super important to explore the wrong way and the correct way so that they can see the difference

Next I plan to read the book Too Much Glue

I was sent this book and I am in love

Like puffy heart love!


Here is a quick snapshot of what the book is about

Matty, is a little boy who has a crazy obsession with copious amounts of glue! 

This obsession lands him in a very sticky situation 

One day while in art class Matty decides to use the fullest bottle of glue that he could find

Matty pours the glue all over his desk, adds paper and sequins and sparkles, and with a plop and a shout of

 "Geronimo!" leaps on top of the desk to add the final decoration: himself! But when Matty tries to get up, 

he boings right back down

I know that my kiddos are going to get a kick out of following Matty and his glue explorations

If you would like your own copy click  here 
{ Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for your chance to win your own copy!}


One way that I plan to combat the battle of the glue is to try glue sponges in my classroom this year

I have heard great things about them and decided to give them a shot

I picked up some cute containers from Dollar Tree and made a class set

I am pretty excited about these....

probably way more than I should be!


Anyhoo

 Greg from Kindergarten Smorgasboard  made a super easy video tutorial that you can check out  here 

 Now I know that it is also super important to have the kiddos using  glue the regular way so I  plan to send a lot of time letting them use glue bottles.

I suck at taking pictures of my students when we actually do an activity

But I use the sheets below to get them practicing those gluing skills


You can get these here 

Some other ideas for gluing practice are: 

*A great way to teach students how to glue lines  and curves is by having them trace the alphabet using thin lines of glue and adding a dab of glitter once they are done


You can get these here 

* To teach how to make a small dot  the printable alphabet sheets with the dots in them are perfect!

These sheets were designed to teach kidletts how to paint with a q-tip, which is a great idea by the way, but you can re-purpose them and use them for gluing practice


To pick these up you can click here 

*  Alphabet coloring sheets are also a great idea to get some gluing practice in

The ones here are great because the letters are skinny enough to make thin lines of glue. You want to stay away from coloring sheets that have thick bubble letters because they encourage students to use too much glue. 

Here are a few more gluing practice sheets that I will be using 

Caitlin's from Kindergarten Smiles 

Mrs. Miners from Miners Monkey Business 

Little Miss Kindergarten's gluing practice page

For more advance gluing practice you can use these sheets below


Okay I know this have been a super duper long post and it has taken me forever to write it BUT it is coming to an end

{ Insert a celebration jig here :) }

Since I rock as a blogger I asked Marissa if she would let me give the book away to one fabulous peep

and she said yes!

Woohoo

That rocks for you

You can enter to win your own HARD COVER of the book by entering on my FB fan page

When you get to my fan page click the little drop down arrow to access the giveaway tab



Click here to enter { FB giveaway}

If you are on a smartphone click here to enter




Peace Out Peeps





51 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am trying to get back to actually blogging :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Shuna! This makes me feel brave enough to bust out the glue bottles more this year!
    -Carol
    P.S. Would love for you to come check out my little blog if you are not already! :)
    Mrs. Cobb's Kindersprouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning it is super messy but it gets better and they need the practice

      Delete
  3. My favorite thing to do at the beginning of the year is an activity from Dr. Jean- we do a scavenger hunt around the school and people from different places give things to the kids to go in their paper backpack I made them so that they have a backpack full of goodies to go home with on the first day. It is also a mini orientation and people meet and greet. It kicks off my year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me and my teammate were looking for awesome ways to teach our kinder kids how to properly use glue. Any suggestions on how to properly use scissors with cute books to match

    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite activities are all the get to know you ones at the beginning! One of my summer goals was to make an All About Me book like I saw on Pinterest to share my childhood with my kids, but it's not looking promising I'm going to have time for that!

    Rebecca Thompson
    thompsonr574@strose.edu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love giving my kids practice with all the different materials we'll use in kdgt at the beginning of the year. I'd have to say my favorite thing to start the year with is giving them a little shaving cream. I ask them to write their name and a few numbers/shapes. Quick assessment for me and fun for them.
    Great giveaway!
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy using the No! David books and talk about peacemakers and peacebreakers when we start out character education.
    Karen Rowland
    Adventures With Firsties

    karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Shuna! Love all your tips!
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the glue ideas & freebies! At the beginning of the year I like to do a lot of "training" for using school supplies & also for classroom rules & routines.

    kschultz@brookcntr.k12.mn.us

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your blog!! Thank you for the freebies. I love doing magic playdough at the beginning of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tips & freebies! At the beginning of the year I like to work right away on how to use school supplies correctly & also start to "train" students on working independently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this book. I have to admit, I've only ever let the kids use glue sticks. This year I got some glue practice pages, but I'll have to get the glue. It's not on our district supply list so I think I only have about 3 bottles in my room and who knows how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much, Shuna!! We needed some new ways for our Kinders to practice their gluing techniques. : )
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. At my school we're big on bucket fillers and bucket dippers, so I love to read the book Have You Filled A Bucket Today by Carol McCloud. Now I really want Too Much Glue!!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like to read The Kissing Hand and complete a little activity for them to take home.

    melindacasas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my favorite activities is simply helping the sweet parents who are MUCH more nervous than their children! I try to make the transition from PreK to K as easy as possible for mommies & daddies. So many mommies cry.... smskdg@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just the thought of teaching my kinders to use glue bottles is giving me a headache, but thank you for these fabulous tips!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to do the gingerbread school scavenger hunt. It is fun and they start learning their way around the school. It also helps me see who can be my messenger. `

    xo Bobbie
    http://mykindergartenshenanigans.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite thing is helping the kids practice everything at the beginning of the year...establishing all of those routines!

    Breanne
    breannesimons@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love to start the year reading the No David books. It would be great to add this book to our activities!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for sharing all of these! Now I feel like my students will actually be able to glue without making a mess AND be practicing important skills too! AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a hard for me because this will be my first year in my own classroom.....YEA!!! I have so many ideas and have not made the decision yet as to what I am going to do. Getting lots of great ideas on here...THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We do a fun scavenger hunt around the school on the first day. It involves a certain cat who's name starts with a P. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mine is a get to know you activity, plus I want everyone to feel welcome, get supplies put away, etc.. Busiest day of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am a homeschooling mom with a daughter doing K4 this year. Last year, we began with a unit on Mouse Paint.
    I am excited to see all your great ideas and equally excited to find this blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Last year we began Pre-K with Mouse Paint.
    This year my daughter will be K4.
    Glad to find your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh...I'm so excited about this post and will share it on my Facebook fan page as soon as I'm done typing! :0) At the beginning of the year there are two activites that I LOVE to do...I found the most adorable free craftivity on lunch room procedures and it inspired me to make one on bus procedures as well! ;) This glue activity is a stroke of genius, and I will definitely be doing it with my firsties when we get back to school! :) I think that working with wet glue SO helps their fine motor...so...this year...we are ditching the sticks and getting back to basics with wet glue! :) Pray for us, Shuna! :) This pack will certainly help them make it through the 'glue-lympics' I am planning for them this year! :) LOL! Love your blog, chica! Keep these good ideas FLOWIN'! :) I am never disappointed when I stop in to see you...just such goodness over here! :)
    XOXO,
    Tamara

    Mrs.Russell's Room
    First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  29. We do a school scavenger hunt the first day and end up in the cafeteria with a gingerbread cookie left from the gingerbread man! I can't wait to incorporate these awesome glue activities to my first week! THANK YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. My favorite thing to do at the beginning of school is free time with math tools. This lets them explore the materials!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have never heard of this book before. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This post is full of awesomeness! I love all of your practice gluing ideas & this book looks amazing. THanks you for sharing with us, I think you've just made some primary teachers' lives easier.

    Stephanie
    PolkaDotPalace

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love sharing All About Me and then having them create one over the week to share.

    ReplyDelete
  34. HI Shuna!! You are wonderful for posting about this!!! As a new Kindergarten teacher I am very eager to develop as many resources as I can for my "file" and learn the ways of K! I absolutely love read alouds and establishing a classroom community... I love getting to know my kiddies through games and scavenger hunts :)

    Laura Love to Teach

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'd love to have a copy of that book...perfect for all of these wonderful glue activities! At the beginning of the year we teach nursery rhymes (some of which are new to some of our students). We read them in the pocket chart, on the Smartboard and in our own little books. I love the way it makes all of the students feel like real "readers". Thanks for the chance to win a copy of the book and sharing your great ideas!
    Michelle
    mcoop1125@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the idea of reading the book and teaching about glue. I teach PreK and we use glue sticks until Jan. There little hands are sometimes not strong enough to squeeze the glue out. This will be a great resource to use when I do teach them to use glue bottles. And to tell you the truth, I have nightmares about glue bottles too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. My favorite beginning of the school year activity is Pete the Cat walking in my school shoes. Pre-kinders love showing their new shoes. Its a great way to get them all interested in something they all have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My favorite beginning of the school year activity is Pete the Cat walking in my school shoes. Pre-kinders love showing their new shoes. Its a great way to get them all interested in something they all have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  39. These sheets are great for glueing practice! The book looks adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My favorite thing is to introduce my kiddos to a ton of the books in my classroom library; that way, when it is reading time, they all know what books are their favorites!
    Liz
    Teaching in the Valley
    teachinginthevalley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love you, Shuna!!! You always have great ideas and you crack me up!!!
    THanks so much for sharing!!
    Keri :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is a great post! This book looks adorable. I don't have a beginning of year routine it depends on the kiddos that I end up with:)

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome ideas! Would not have thought to look for an accompanying book for gluing!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That book looks so cute! Glue is the bane of my existence also. I love the No Clog Elmer's glue bottles with the tops that have the tip to insert. They almost never clog! But they can run out all over the paper as well. I think I'll incorporate some dot practice too.

    Donna Williams

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like doing a back to school cooperative activity with pipe cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  46. My favorite thing to teach for back to school is the Kissing Hand book on the first day. I have my kinders color a raccoon and cut it out. It's always great to see who can cut, who has NEVER seen scissors before and who need some extra help. Then I have them choose a heart to add on the hand. It's always one of my favorites to do.
    How do your kinders really do with creating thin lines? Do you find that they eventually turn into blobs? How many weeks do you spend on "glue instruction"?
    teecher4life@gmail.com
    Kinders on the Block

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first week we really practice gluing but after that it is embed within lesson. After the first week it is just teaching during teachable moments when they have to use the glue

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog! -Shuna

If you are not a follower what are you waiting for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...