Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Pinterest

Monday, October 15, 2012

Learning Sight Words and Freebies

Hiya Peepers

Shuna here

Do your little shining stars struggle with sight words?

This year I have a handful of students that just can't remember their words

Try as they might they just can't get them

So I do a variety of activities with them to get them to learn those all important words!

Here goes my schedule for how I teach sight words

Monday

I first introduce the sight word. We use magnetic letters to build the sight words and practice writing  them. 


We also write the words in the sky and write them on the carpet for that tactile support

Tuesday

We practice writing them again ( sky writing, carpet writing, writing on our hand, writing on the back of a neighbor and finally writing with marker ) The more motions you can get out of students the more they will build that muscle memory and more likely remember the motions for each word

We build the words using letter titles and playdough

We practice spelling each word with a motion. For example if we are spelling see we might clap each letter or do scissors. When I teach spelling words I try to get the students to activate both their left and right brain so I do a lot of activities  that cross the midline

Man I should have took pictures of this but I am going to try to explain

Don't shoot me, please

Here goes

Scissors

Students hold their arms straight on either side of their head

I say a word for example see

The students move one hand over to the other ( kinda like how you would for alligator chomps) while spelling the word

Snapping It Up

Kinda like the round of applause cheer but instead the students snap each letter in a circle motion

Ladder

Students hold hands flat in front of them in front of their chest

I again call a word

Student crosses one hand over the other while until they spell the whole word


I have some more spelling motions but at the moment I can't for the life of me remember

Darn Monday brain!

We also sing the spelling words for the first time on Tuesday

I know that I have talked about this site before but it is a great way to give those singers in your class time to do what they like to do best: SING LOUDLY! 

I use Mrs. Jones room to practice singing our spelling words

There is a different song for words from 1 to 6 letters

Pretty amazing stuff in my book and it works wonders

On the spelling test I catch my little darlings singing the songs to help them spell the word



Y'all I promise that it sounds  like it takes forever for me to teach spelling but it doesn't

I promise

pinky promise

15 mins tops!

You believe me right

Aww shucks you do!

Now we can move on 

Wednesday, right?

Let me check


Yep Wednesday

On Wednesday we do everything we do on Tuesday we jut add finding the word in the sentence!

I write a sentence and the kiddos practice reading the word in context

Thursday

I scramble up the letters and let them unscramble them to spell the word correctly

I also do spelling exercise to practice spelling the word

You can view this post to learn about my spelling exercises


On Friday 

We review all the words and play Sparkle or All Around the World 

Here are some morre spelling ideas that I use in my classroom

Use flour or sand and have kiddos use their finger of pencil end to practice writing the words

Spelling Recording Sheet Freebie
You can this sheet in my Visual Plans
Click HERE to download

To get a blank editable copy so you can add you own words you can get it HERE 

Bottle Top Spelling




Spelling Mini Station


Click here to read more about my mini stations


More spelling Mini stations


Click here to read more about these mini stations

Paint the Word Template Freebie
You can get this freebie by downloading my Visual Plans
Click HERE to go to the plans


I am also using sight words practice pages 

I send these home for homework

These are something that the kiddos know how to do by themselves and they find them fun



Now its your turn

Link up with your most fabulous spelling/sight word ideas!

Can't wait to check them out





4 comments:

  1. Oh my, what great ideas!! I've been racking my brain for some new ones!! Thanks for sharing!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  2. *LOVE* your linky! Spelling is always fun! =)

    ~Tanya
    Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! This is Brooke from Once Upon a First Grade Adventure! Love this idea for a Linky! I tried linking up a few times but am apparently having trouble with inlinkz---it says I need a backlink, which I thought I had, but who knows...! Anyway, here is a link to my post and freebie. Let me know if you know how I can link up for real :)
    -Brooke

    http://onceuponafirstgradeadventure.blogspot.com/2012/10/singing-word-wall-freebie.html

    Once Upon A First Grade Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have really great ideas! I just pinned all of your pics, hehe! Thank you for sharing. I am always looking for ideas to motivate the kids to spell. Thanks for doing the links! I will add my sight word flash cards :)

    kindergartenkidsatplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! -Shuna

If you are not a follower what are you waiting for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...