Receive all updates via Facebook. Just Click the Like Button Below

Powered By | Blog Gadgets Via Blogger Widgets

Monday, August 15, 2011

How much money do you spend in your room?

how much of your own personal money do you spend in your room each year? I know for me that I spend upwards of $500 each year! There are some teachers that always say that I am crazy for spending that amount of money but if I need it then I buy it!

Each year I hear more and more compliants about how much school cost. Many parents complain that they have to spend too much money on school supplies and this and that! They think that the school and or teacher is suppose to supply items needed but what happens if they don't? Do we as teachers just say, "Oh well if the district/school doesn't see fit to supply me with what I need then oh well I guess we won't have it" or do you dig into your own pocket?


If we don't do it then who will? What kind of classrooms would we have if teachers did not dig into their own pockets to fund our profession? Think about this if we were in any other white collar career we would have a budget for remodeling but as teachers we are not that fortunate! We are expected to make sure that our classrooms are fun and homey but in order to do this we must spend our own money! At my school it is an expectation that each classroom is a cozy environment for our students, since most of them come from unstable home evironements, but we are not allowed to spend the money that the district gives us on anything that is decorative. If it is an expectation to have our classroom one way but we are not alloted any money to make it that way then how exactly and I suppose to achieve the set expectation?
Oh! I get it now  it is assumed that I would love my job so much that I would spend my own merger pay check to make it happen
Boy I tell ya I must really love what I do because you couldn't pay me enough to do what I do!
* There is a special place in Heaven for teachers*
Check out this post it really makes you think

Ms. Patterson

7 comments:

  1. I agree!
    You wouldn't expect a paramedic to stock his own ambulance with bandages or a firefighter to buy tires for the fire trucks, but teachers have to buy almost everything these days! Most of my families do not bring in school supllies - do I tell a 5 year old "too bad, so sad" when he doesn't have crayons or do I pay for them out of my pocket?! I buy my own ink cartridges and paper even though it's used on mandatory items like attendance sheets, lunch counts, nurse notes, assessments etc. I know some bitter teachers who refuse to buy stuff for their classrooms - I would never want my child in their class even though I can sort of understand where they're coming from. I think certain people were born to teach and love it enough that they are willing to spend their own money to be better teachers. Those who begrudge buying a $5 pack of play dough for their kindergarten class should maybe not be in this profession?

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too! My PTO gives each teacher $100 and the district gives us $100 plus basic supplies like pencils, pens, and whiteboard markers. However, it takes much more to make a classroom run smoothly. I spend hundreds of my own dollars in my classroom each year. I don't even think twice about it. My students and I have to spend a big chunk of our time each day in our classroom and I want it to be inviting and pleasant. If I didn't spend my own money I would have bare walls, very basic games/centers, no rug, no word wall, no bulletin board decorations, etc. Plus, don't even get me started on how much printer ink I go through at home. That in itself is a small fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My district gives us so little, and the general supplies run out constantly. Teachers in my district were buying their own copy paper by January of last school year. If tax payers really knew how much money teachers spend they would be shocked. I love that t-shirt!
    ☺ Tanya
    First Grade is Fantabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like a crazy amount for you to say at the outset but I can see myself spending a similar amount when I eventually have my own class. I think that any passionate teacher will go above and beyond the status quo and will WANT to buy things to make learning more interesting and exciting for the children.

    Baggy Trousers at A Crucial Week In The Life of an NQT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our district used to give us $275 at the beginning of the year. This year it was $250. I heard the money comes from the state and not the district, but I'm not sure. I spend a lot of money too, because like you, I teach in a high needs school where supplies don't readily come in. I had one student today bring in two pencils for the year. Luckily, we also have a place where teachers can go and shop for their class, so that helps too. I agree with what others say...you have to pay the money to have your room look good and to supply your students with the necessary supplies.

    Living A Wonderful Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've honestly stopped counting how much money I spend on my classroom: The pencils I found for a penny (bought 30 packs); the paper that was free - if I'd remembered to send in the rebate; the books from Amazon that I "had" to have; etc. - I am not part of this profession because I planned on getting rich: I'm in this profession because I make a difference for every one of my first graders. Great conversation, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost hate to think of how much I spend. It is literally thousands (just ask my hubby at tax time when he starts adding the receipts). We have been getting $175/yr for supplies, but I came into a very high poverty area school and a room that had NOTHING except what came with the language and math series we are using. There were no organizers, extra books, construction paper, manipulatives...NOTHING. It is a newer building, so I was lucky to have new furniture, 4 student computers, teacher computer and a SMARTboard, but there were empty shelves abound. Now in my 5th year, the amount I spend is starting to dwindle, but I am sure I already hit at least $1000 for this calendar year.
    I am very lucky to have such a supportive husband who only rolls his eyes at me once a year (tax time) when he sees what I spend. Other than that, he just says to get what I need to help those students succeed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! -Shuna

If you are not a follower what are you waiting for?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...